Saturday, August 8, 2009

Sure Thing-St. Germain

So on something like a Tuesday night a few weeks ago I was at home working in my room at about 1 in the morning or so...and my mom was listening to Jazz After Hours on NPR. I started hearing this song coming from the living room that just sounded really enticing in a kind of dark jazzy/funky/electronic way. So I wandered out to listen to it and all the lights were off, my mom was off somewhere in the basement, and this is what was playing:


It's Sure Thing by St. Germain, a French composer/producer who released his 3rd album, Tourist,in 2000.

The song is composed using samples of vocal and guitar riffs by blues legend John Lee Hooker. These sounds are woven into the beat in a way that kind of feels like a soundscape to me. It was a pretty dope midnight discovery.

-msmadelinejo

No comments: